When was the last time you sat down and really thought about your past?
In a world full of deadlines, targets, goals and always wanting to push ourselves and each other to plan and achieve as much as we possibly can, it almost forces us to always focus our attention to the future. Having all of this focus to the future can make us forget how far we have come and the amazing achievements, goals and general ‘stuff’ we have already experienced in our lives.
Social media doesn’t always help with giving ourselves a break; we see our favourite people on Twitter and Instagram absolutely killing it (which is awesome) but then that pushes us to want to achieve more and more which in turn keeps us constantly focussed on the future.
Having goals and striving to achieve these goals is, of course, a great way to motivate yourself. I am a big forward planner and always have my goals and things I want to achieve written down. I am very much a ‘can do’ person and I will make sure I do everything in my power to achieve what I want.
But on the other hand, I am also one to step back when I need to and think about how far I’ve come. I would like to think I have found the right balance in life and know when I need to look back and remember how far I’ve come.
I find that I usually look back when I’m going through a stressful time or when I think that I’m not doing as well as I should be. This really helps me to put my mind at ease and really appreciate where I am at that moment in time.
I understand it can sometimes be hard to really think back to what you have achieved, especially when time is of the essence and you have a lot to do but, it’s important to do so. Here are some of the things I do to help me see how far I’ve come:
- Simply sit down and breathe– It’s hard to think back when you are surrounded by the worries of everyday life and work so just taking 5 minutes away from everything can really ignite your mind.
- Celebrate the little things– Whether it’s simply a #repost from a brand you love or finishing that article you’ve been trying to finish for weeks, celebrate it! A little win is still a win.
- Speak to a friend– It’s amazing what speaking to a friend or family member can do for remembering how far you’ve come! They remind you of everything J
- It’s not just professional, personal stuff counts too– Don’t just think about work. We all have personal goals so let’s celebrate those too!
- Make a list – There’s no better way to remembering things than writing them down. Make lists, draw little pictures, just get it down on paper. You will surprise yourself when you get it all down in front of you.
We all get stressed, we all have good and bad times and we all don’t realise just how amazing our lives have been. It’s time to take a step back, and look back.