Today we chatted with Lexi from Over about their iOs and Android app, and why you should start dabbing into DIY design.
Over is a brand-building app that was created to make visual branding easier, faster, and way more fun for the DIY marketer, social media manager, and solopreneur.
Starting a business (or working for a new small business) – whether it’s a side hustle or full-time gig – with no design, branding, marketing, or advertising experience is tough.
Hiring freelancers is expensive, trying to learn it all yourself takes oodles of time…and Photoshop? Need we say more. Eek!
We wanted to change the way people think about design, and rather give these amazing, ambitious self-starters and social media managers a tool that would not only show them what looks good, what’s trending, and what you could create and how to create,, but also make it easy try it themselves.
Why do you think people should be educated on how to improve their design skills?
Design can make or break your visual branding. And learning a few basic skills can make all the difference when it comes to leveling up your social media game.
Why is visual branding so important?
Visual branding does three things for your business, without you needing to do anything!
- Creates memorability. Meaning, when you think of your favorite brands, the first thing that comes to mind are the probably the colors and the logo. That is powerful!
- Sets the tone for attracting the right customer. We’ll put it this way, if you’re trying to sell to everyone, you’ll end up selling to no-one, so you want to do everything you can to get the right people to follow you, use/buy your product/service. Your visual style is a reflection of what kind of customers you want to attract.
- It saves you time. If you have a consistent visual brand guide, you’ll never need to spend time thinking about colors and fonts to use. Believe us, it makes creating content a dream.
How can one stay in the loop with the latest design trends? Why should they?
Read our Discover stories in the app! Seriously though, our team is made up of amazing humans with a lot of experience in design, advertising, marketing, and brand-building. We make it our job to stay on top of trends, and share that knowledge with you, so that you don’t have to trawl the web to find it.
Design trends are important to know because they become popular, and when things become popular, you want to join in the fun so you’re part of the conversation. We do have a disclaimer here though – not all design trends are right for your brand, but we do our best to show you how to apply a trend without breaking your brand.
How important is the color scheme and consistency in fonts and look?
Super duper important. It goes back our answer about visual branding. Consistency is key to brand-building because it creates memorability.
Why is it important to make the most of specific recurrences?
People search for occasion-specific ideas, promotions, and content, and you want to be found when they’re doing that.
We’re constantly doing research and getting to know the content creators and startups in our community – this helps us understand what challenges and problems we need to help them solve, and how to help them achieve their goals.
What are the top 3 design trends for next year?
- Bold colors – think bright red, electric blue, bubblegum pink, and canary yellow.
- Asymmetric layouts – floating text, off-center images and type, overlayed blocks and elements.
- Custom-made illustration.