Last week on the HBC Magazine we interviewed Sinéad Delahunty ahead of the release of her new book Delalicious.
We’ve invited Sinéad back to share one of her recipes from the book. Read on to make this tasty treat for yourself and find out how you could win a copy of Sinéad’s book.
Crispy Fish Tacos
Everybody loves crispy fish but the secret is in the batter. This recipe uses rice flour which forms the lightest tempura-style batter while also being naturally gluten-free, so suitable for all!
Use any type of meaty white fish instead of cod. Sliced wedges of celeriac, parsnip or courgette are great vegetarian options too.
Simply increase the amount of paprika to spice things up a little.
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- Pinch of sea-salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cod fillet, de-skinned and boned
- ¼ red cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 taco shells
- 2 tbsp crème fraiche
- Whisk the egg lightly in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, paprika and salt and pepper.
- Slice the cod fillet into goujons.
- To batter the cod: simply dip one goujon at a time into the egg mix and then roll in the flour mix and leave to rest on a plate. Place in the fridge until ready to cook.
- For the slaw: remove the tough outer layers of the red cabbage and using a sharp knife, slice into thin lengths. Add the carrots and mix through the cabbage. Add the lemon juice, honey, olive oil and vinegar and mix thoroughly to coat the slaw.
- Melt the coconut oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the fish goujons and cook for 5-8 minutes until golden on all sides.
- Transfer the fish from the pan with a slotted spoon or spatula to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain any excess oil.
- Cook the taco shells as per packet instructions.
- Stuff the tacos with the red cabbage slaw and place the cod goujons on top with a drizzle of crème fraiche.
We’re giving away a copy of Sinead’s new book Delalicious. To be in with a chance, leave a comment below. Winner will be selected 5pm Friday 27th April. Good luck!