Meet Sus, as well as our influencers Hannah and Jayne, at our first Bristol meet on April 7th – find more info here.
Rough Measures focuses on wholesome, vegetarian food. This blog was started whilst living on the water, and now continues in my small cottage kitchen
I have a 9-5 job, blogging is my ‘side hustle’ and hobby!
I started blogging as a way to keep my mind active and focussed during a bit of a rough patch. I spend a lot of my weekend creating recipes and styling/shooting them, then write up the posts during my weekday evenings.
I have slowly learned to not put too much pressure on myself, to listen to my body so that if I am getting stressed, have a bit of time away from the blog.
I am a very outdoorsy person so sometimes I will spend the weekend out walking rather than creating content.
I started my blog from an online WordPress course and joined some Facebook bloggers groups, and it grew from there. Word of mouth has helped me a lot since. Being shortlisted for a BOOM Award in 2016 was something I am still very proud of! Since then, I have done a few projects with the Soil Association and Organic Trade Board – I am a huge advocate for organic produce and love the ethos behind both companies.
Top Instagram accounts to follow?
- @zannavandijk because she is so full of life and also trying to educate people on the damaging aspects of plastic
- @me_and_orla because every one of Sara’s photos is lovely
- @wecollectskies does amazing landscape shots of the UK
- @kymgrimshaw because I love her style
- Favourite food? Do I have to pick one haha?! Chocolate..?!
- Favourite drink? Kombucha
- Favourite recipe? My Favourite Vegan Chilli
- The best place to eat out? There are so many! But I am a huge fan of Beyond the Kale in my hometown Bath.
- iPhone or camera? At the moment it’s iPhone because it’s just easier than lugging my camera around.
- Type of camera? Nikon D800
- Lightroom or VSCO? Lightroom for my Nikon shots and VSCO for Instagram!
- Favourite filter? VSCO A9 or A6
- Favourite way to edit pics? VSCO
- What’s your top Instagram tip? Don’t overthink it, it’s quite clear when someone has overedited/over thought a shoot. Instagram was designed to be quick!
- Favourite film? True Romance
- Current book on your shelf? How Not to Die – Dr. Michael Greger
- Favourite song? This changes all the time but Tracey Chapman – She’s Got Her Ticket is a special song to me.
- Living in the city or living by the beach? Beach for sure, I can’t handle city life. The ocean has my heart.
- Favourite travel destination? Ohhhhh I LOVEEEE Canada!
- What city are you currently living in? Bath – my hometown!
- Insta crush? Leo Dicaprio <3
- Career lowlight since being an influencer? Dealing with trolls on social media – I still can’t comprehend how people like this exist.
- Best gift you’ve ever received as an influencer? Ohhhh, that’s a tough one, but it has to be my Froothie Optimum G2.1 blender – it has revolutionised my life!
- Top career tip? Fake it till you make it.
- Quote you live by? ‘Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.’ Marianne Williamson