Have a Better BBQ this summer!
Organic farming recognises the direct connection between our health and how the food we eat is produced. The Soil Association is encouraging the nation to make a change this summer and switch to organic for their BBQ’s. This small change will make a huge difference that will benefit both your body and the environment. This campaign is about spreading the word about organic and gathering support for organic producers and we want you to help spread the organic love!
We are keen to get people thinking about where their meat and veg comes from and eating healthier diets in the process. Essentially, organic food is produced using environmentally and animal friendly farming methods. Here are some important reasons why you should switch to organic this summer:
- Better for the environment. If organic farming was common practice in the UK, we could offset at least 23% of UK agriculture’s GHG emissions through soil carbon sequestration alone!
- Better for Wildlife. Organic farms are havens for wildlife and provide homes for bees, birds and butterflies. Overall, plant, insect and bird life is 50% more abundant on organic farms.
- Better for animals. Organic farm animals enjoy the very highest standards of any farmed animals. As well as requiring that animals are genuinely free range, organic standards cover living conditions, food quality, the use of antibiotics and hormones, as well as transport and slaughter.
- From farm to fork you’ll know what you’re eating…. Organic meat is food you can trust. All organic farms and companies that process organic meat are inspected at least once a year and products are fully traceable.
- Reduced exposure to antibiotics. Soil Association standards ban the routine use of antibiotics for organic farm animals so the risk of the spread of antibiotic resistance bugs is reduced. You might have seen this issue in the press recently – here’s our Policy Director’s response.
- Supporting sustainable farming practices means higher standards of animal welfare and a more traceable production process so you’ll always know what’s in your food.
Be a Brand Ambassador for the Better BBQ campaign! Find more information about the campaign HERE and head to the opportunities page to read more about the opportunity.