It can be hard to find healthy snacks when on the go, so we’ve teamed up with California Walnuts to bring you some delicious, quick, easy recipes so you can snack happy wherever you are!
Stay tuned over for more recipe inspiration over the coming weeks as we share our favourites when out and about.
Road Tripping Thelma and Louise Style
Whether you are going across the American highways, or simply exploring your local area, road-tripping can be a very rewarding experience to share with friends and loved ones.
Find the perfect playlist, pack the essential, get in your car, and enjoy the ride!
However, after a few hours singing along with Queen B, your tummy will inevitably start rumbling. What to do then?
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
Which is the reason why, once again, we asked our friends at California Nuts for inspiration.
What makes California walnuts so special?
Naturally nutritious California walnuts are known for their light and creamy flavour. Fresh from the sun-dappled orchards of The Golden State, they’re a delicious snack and versatile ingredient, bursting with wholesome, plant-based goodness.
California Walnut and Sour Cherry Rocky Road
If you’re looking for a make-ahead sweet treat, then this is the recipe for you. Prepped in just 15 minutes, you can pop these sticky, sweet and sour squares in the cupboard, ready to pack in your bags, as you’re running out the door (we’ve all been guilty of remembering things as the engine is on and the car is ready to go!)
Preparation time: 15 mins, plus chilling time
Makes: 9 squares
- 180g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 120g California walnuts, roughly chopped
- 40g banana chips
- 50g puffed brown rice
- 20g chia seeds
- 45g dried sour cherries
- A little vegetable oil
- First, melt the chocolate in a mixing bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t come into contact with the water.
- Next, mix together the California walnuts, banana chips, puffed rice, chia seeds and sour cherries in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the melted chocolate and stir to evenly coat.
- Lightly oil and line a small square baking tray with parchment. Tip the mixture onto your prepared tray and press down with the back of a spoon to evenly spread.
- Place into the fridge for around 1 hour, or until completely chilled and solid. Cut into 9 small squares and store in an airtight container.
Smoky Rosemary and Chilli California Walnuts
Salty, smoky and spicy, these toasted California walnuts are a favourite at the HBC HQ… and if there is any leftover (a very rare instance) you can pop them in your desk drawer as a tasty snack.
Preparation time: 20 mins
- 200g California walnuts
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Tamari soy sauce
- 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- Pinch of smoked sea salt
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a flat baking tray with parchment, place the walnuts and pumpkin seeds on the tray, and roast in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Whisk together the maple syrup, paprika, soy sauce, rosemary, salt and chilli flakes in a small bowl and drizzle over the nuts and seeds, tossing to coat.
- Place back in the oven and roast for 5-6 minutes or until toasted and fragrant.
- Place in an airtight jar to store.